Gone bananas {Recipe}

Monday 19 May 2014

Sunday is cake day at ours - not on purpose, it just always seem to happen on a Sunday. And this Sunday I had a few bananas to get rid of. Baby MiH and I have a thing for bananas but it seemed that I was over-enthusiastic on my last food shopping day and got a few too many. 

It was also an opportunity to test some recipes from the latest cooking book I took out of the library - My Granny's Baking Book - great book, many pictures and everything looks yummy. And there was a banana bread recipe, bingo! I have never tried banana bread - I know, shocking. So I am not sure how this compares, but Baby MiH and I loved it. 


However Mr MiH is not the biggest fan.. I was surprised because he does not have as sweet a tooth as Baby MiH and I have - and this cake/bread has no sugar (I added the icing sugar on top specifically for that reason). This cake is probably healthier alternative to his usual tea on Sundays.



I have changed the recipe slightly so that I could use what I actually had in the house - this is how I made mine. 

You will need: 
  • 115g of unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 220g of flour
  • 2 tsp of mixed all spices
  • 25g of wheat bran
  • 2 eggs beaten 
  • 3 very ripe bananas
  • 2-3 tbsp milk
  • icing sugar for dusting


So how to make it

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and base line a loaf tin. Cream the butter in a bowl until it is fluffy. Sift the bicarbonate of soda with the flour and spices, then add to the creamed butter, alternately with the eggs. Add the bran. 
2. Peel the bananas and slice them into a bowl. Mash them well, then stir them into the cake mixture. Add enough milk to give a dropping consistency. 
3. Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and level the surface. Bake for 75 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. 
4. Sift the icing sugar - if you want...



A new Sunday cake for this week - and look at that (dirty) little  face, I will just have to bake more cake to see that face again.



Hope you had a great weekend, as you can see from the pictures, we had wonderful weather and made the most of it!

8 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, scrummy to me. Love the last photo, he's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost me at bananas - can't stomach them, but then that face! He is just perfect Nat - such a cute little boy and I love watching him grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that's your little man. So sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness baby MiH is so adorable! The cake looks really yummy. I love banana bread but I don't make it very often my husband is not a big fan either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds delish! I have a go-to recipe for banana bread, but this one sounds nice as well!
    baby MiH is soooo big!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When your baby likes it, you know it's hella good.

    ReplyDelete