I am about to go to France - and more scarily going to be in a swimsuit every day and all I can think about is cake - typical right! The only thing to do in these circumstances is just make one - there is no point resisting, better get it out of my system.
Here is a fresh, full of berries cake. As you can see from the pictures (and these are the best) this is really looking homemade - no fancy styling, more an every day cake than 'I have people for tea' cake.
You will need (for 12) - for those interested this a 5 points/slice cake.
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75 g caster sugar
- 100 g blueberries + 75 g of raspberries (you can adjust this according to your own taste)
- zest of 1 unwaxed lemon (or vanilla extract if you are not keen on the lemon taste)
- 2 large eggs
- 150 g low fat natural yoghurt
- 2tbsp skimmed milk
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- 100g icing sugar
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/Fan. Line your tin with some greaseproof paper.
- Sift the flour and bicabornate of soda into a large bowl and stir in the sugar, blueberries and lemon zest. Make a well in the centre.
- Beat the eggs with a large whisk until smooth, then beat in the toghurt, milk and oil until well combined. Stir into the flour mixture with a large spoon until very lightly mixed.
- pour into the tin. bake in the centre of the oven for 25/30 minutes - check with your knife that it is cooked in the middle. Transfer it to a wire rack and leave it to cool.
- To make the lemon icing, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and runny. Using a spoon, drizzle over the cake and leave to set for 30 minutes before serving.
If I am honest, it is not as good as a full fat lemon drizzle cake - BUT it is very satisfying and moist, and with one slice you do feel happy. I suppose I am always happy when there is cake!