Detox is my word for 2015 - and in addition to start my diet, I wanted to find out more about superfoods... And apparently amaranth. I had no idea this little grain existed. But I was missing out, this grain is the real deal in terms of health benefits. Finding out about it was one thing; doing something that would taste nice with it another. I had the help of this great book and ta da we now have super dooper biscuits. And to be honest with a baby and a toddler, and Mr MiH training for a half marathon, I need all the superfood recipe I can get my hands on!
What will you need to make 20 biscuits (3 WW points/biscuit)
60g of low fat butter
60g of coconut oil
15g of light brown sugar
55g of caster sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract
100g of quinoa flour
1 tsp of gluten-free baking powder
125g of dried dates
60g of stem ginger
100g of amaranth (popped following this post)
1 tbsp of lemon juice
How to make these?
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C and line two large baking trays with non-stick baking paper
2. Cream the butter and coconut oil with the brown and caster sugar until light and creamy, then mix in the egg and vanilla.
3. Sift the quinoa flour and baking powder and fold into the creamed butter mixture.
4. Using a spatula, mix in the dates, ginger, amaranth puffs and the lemon juice. The mixture may seem a little dry but don't be tempted to add more liquid just press together as you are mixing so that it holds.
5. Place spoonfuls of the mixture onto to the prepared trays and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
Leave to cool slightly in trays before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Here you are gluten free, low GI biscuits, these are good for you! Expect more superfood recipe on the blog, and guess what raw cocoa is a superfood, so I don't have to stop posting about chocolate! Whoohoo!