Knitting and Reading (but not at the same time)

Wednesday 6 January 2016


Happy Wednesday! And let me introduce you to the softest of knits - my (future) Beaubourg jumper. I am knitting it, as advised by the pattern, with Maxima from Manos del Uruguay (I reviewed this ethical yarn here). Although the knitting is quite easy, I cannot read at the same time. How do you do it? I can knit in the car, knit whilst having a chat, knit whilst watching TV - I just cannot knit and read. But I have been reading. I have been using reading as my time off. I go to bed early at the moment - thank you Baby MiH for my lack of beauty sleep - and turn off my mind with a book. 

So actually I am reading more books as a result. I finished the Children Act by Ian McEwan - it is not necessarily easy reading in terms of the topic covered - a high court judge arbitrating on family affairs - but the prose makes it flow. I usually read books with more drama, it felt like an easy read from that point of view, and it was what I needed. There is substance - clearly a lot of research went into it - and it kept me going. So not a 'cannot-stop-reading' book but a good 'quick' in-between read looking at real contemporary issues. 

I am now reading a Christmas Party by Georgette Heyer which was originally published in 1941 under a different title - the Envious Casca. I have not ready any Georgette Heyer's detectives story. I intended to read it during the Christmas period, but did not manage it. I am enjoying it, Christmas in a big country home in Britain, add some snow and I am there - I am making Christmas (or Downtown Abbey?) last a bit longer. 


I am going back to work next week - so reading is going to happen (and not knitting)! It really helps to wind down and escape (totally necessary during my commute). 

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, I covet thee jumper. Do be vocal about the FO when you get to it. I noticed the pattern has a turtleneck which I'm a bit leery to wear because I don't know how tight it is although it looks pretty loose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love audiobooks. I really don't know how people can read and knit at the same time, but audiobooks are ideal for me :-) Your yarn and knitting are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could knit in the car ; ) The only place I knit is on the couch in the evening. Your jumper looks sooooo soft

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I would ever be able to read and knit! I love this soft caramel colour, and think it looks so soft and enveloping. It will really look beautiful with your light, muted colouring. Good luck with the return to work. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I would ever be able to read and knit! I love this soft caramel colour, and think it looks so soft and enveloping. It will really look beautiful with your light, muted colouring. Good luck with the return to work. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah now I can read and knit , read and knit and watch tv all at the same time but can't do anything in the car .

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have reminded me , I got the children's act last year from my husband but have yet to read it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I relate to your lack of beauty sleep ha! I want to cuddle your yarn - so very lovely. I have a similar dilemma, not having time to both knit and read. It's either one or the other during this phase of life. I'm not a big fan of audiobooks usually, but I'm warming up to the idea since it's the only option right now for me to do both.

    ReplyDelete