All I needed to do was: sit down, choose the colours and start crocheting. And once I had started, that was it. Started this morning, finished tonight - and I managed to get rid of two pincushions in the process.
The basis of the pincushion is the African flower pattern that is used in very different ways - for bags, balls, blankets etc. I used 4 different colours - I did not go for flower colour schemes so that it could fit with my (future) hobby room, but also could accommodate all the colourful pins I have.
I used sock yarns - so useful to have in your stash - in double, hook size 4 mm to ensure that the pincushion was big enough. The body of the pincushion colour is the same as the central pattern.
I followed the pattern except for adding two ridges at the beginning of the body - I did add the ridge in the body of the pincushion. It is a very well written pattern - if you need to check what double crochet (UK) is, you can find a helpful tutorial here (I seem to always forget).
I love how big it is - how it is sort of 'sectioned' so that I can put different pins in different places. It is a great in-between project that is really useful!