I have finished it! Yes the Totally Groovy quilt top is finished - ready to be quilted (once I have found the backing fabric - a walk in the park after the piecing together!). And although the light will be different in the room this is meant to be in, you have an idea of what it looks like now.
What really surprised Mr MiH and I is the size of it. This is meant to be for a crib, it is currently on our king size bed... Yeah, do I need to say more? Baby MiH will be able to use this quilt for a wee while - no excuse for me to make another one. It is not bad or good, just surprising. I was worried I would not like the fabric combination anymore once finished, but no still loving!
As you know this is meant to be colour block quilt, and I used patterned fabric. And there are a couple of things you would need to consider if you were going to make it that way. For the white Echo fabric, I had to remake a few curve pieces to match the way the flowers face as it looked weird if they were not all facing the same way - same applied for the light blue triangular fabric. I did not bother think too much about the orange Echo fabric, but if I were to remake it I may 'break' the fabric a bit more, I think (ie more squares and less one pieces). It is worth bearing in mind when you do the cutting - just delays the piecing together process otherwise - and a few wasted pieces.
So of course the next step is the quilting. So we have strong bold colours, big pattern... and also a block colour. Should be an interesting challenge for the weekend! I shall just admire my handy work for the time being.
Linking up to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.