Worth trying again :: Knitting ::

Saturday 4 April 2015


Believe it people - these are socks, hand-knitted socks, my hand-knitted socks, in fact my first pair of hand-knitted socks. It was one of my knitting goals for 2015 - to knit hand-knitted socks. And here we are, beginning of April 2015, and we are discussing my first pair of hand-knitted socks. This is not bad going. 

To be fair, I put ALL the odds in my favour

     1. I chose a simple and clear pattern that plays on its colour scheme and not on a fancy design (ie stockinette); 
     2. I chose the same yarn as indicated on the pattern - in fact I only switch the colour scheme - crazy move, I know; 
     3. and I made one MAJOR modification - by adding a 1 inch to the leg section, whoohoo, crazy mods right there!

Pattern: Camping by Cabinfour
Yarn: De Rerum Natura Ulysse in sel and poivre (you can read my review of the yarn here)
Needles: 3.25 mm
Modifications: Minimal. I used Jeny's stretchy cast on and added that inch to the leg section


I am writing this post whist wearing my socks. They are so comfortable. These are not your regular socks - they fit perfectly, they are warm, cozy - everything that I believe hand-knitting should be about. OK, maybe I am seeing more in the work I put into it than I should - it is late and I am a bit tired too. 

I am planning to knit more socks, there is no stopping me now - I can do it (well that's if they are knitted top down, and I may be that  crazy and that I will give the toe up method a go!)

And it is one 2015 aim ticked, and onto the next... Fair isle anyone? 

13 comments:

  1. Great Nat! They look awsome! Congratulations, there's no stopping now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration Nat! To learn to knit socks has been on my 'to-do' list for the last couple of years! I see so many wonderful socks around the internet but your enthusiasm has me reaching for the knitting needles (do you call them 'pins'?) again! Lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Aren't they fun? I love turning the heel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. I love knitting socks and as you say, they fit perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  5. great first pair!! socks are so amazing! I'm onto my 7th pair now and have no intention of stopping, so many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful!! My first pair are just about to come off the needles...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great start to a sock obsession! They look so comfy too! I love knitting socks and have only done toe up method.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoorah on another addicted sock knitter! These look warm and are a great accompaniment to flannel PJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your first pair of socks! I hope you will find them to be addictive and satisfying as you continue to knit more pairs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats on a truly awesome pair of socks! they look amazing, and you were smart to stack the deck in your favour. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmm, this makes me want to try my first pair of socks as well! They look lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your socks turned out amazing. Makes me want to finally try to knit socks. Yours looks so comfy. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh! These are gorgeous! Can't wait to see your attempts at Fair Aisle!!!

    ReplyDelete