Oh, to own a Jonathan Saunders bomber jacket! | Inspiration {Dressmaking}

Wednesday 28 May 2014

There are a few reasons why I am keen to improve on my dressmaking skills - one of them is to able to recreate some items of my favourite fashion designers, today Jonathan Saunders, and save some pennies in the process. 

I love Jonathan Saunders style - quirky but classic, but I cannot really justify the price, especially for a jacket I would only wear occasionally. But isn't it beautiful? Surprisingly (yes there is some pink involved) I love the colour combination too! But, here is the thing, I could be making my own... 


Pattern: the Rigel Bomber jacket from Papercut; 
Fabric: I chose a Floral Embroidered Dupion from Joel & Son which is not as shiny as the embroidered silk used in the designer model but could work. I am also very (very keen) on this colourful version
Probable modifications: Not sure whether it will be a modification as such, but a lot of care will have to be given to matching fabrics. 
Bomber Jacket: You can buy it on NaP for a mere £1,495.00

So let's do the maths...


This would be one of the most expensive garment I would be making - but still at a bargain price compared to the designer version. Although before I get started on this, I would definitely do a muslin - just because I know I would be scared to cut into that fabric and mess it up. 

However I have seen a lot of sewists' versions of that jacket, and it does look like the real deal on them, so it would be worth the investment. 

9 comments:

  1. Oh I'm excited to see this Nat - how amazing to do your own version of something designer. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun with that ; ) I like your choice of fabric. It will be stunning

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous inspiration jacket! This would be so cool on you! Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost anything would be a steal compared to the original priced piece - there is no doubt that it's gorgeous but I was blown away when I saw the cost! I do hope we'll get to see yours when it's finished :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be stunning. And worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That will be a fun piece in your closet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering if you ever shared your burlap pin cushion pattern. Thanks for sharing so many fun patterns!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did on this post http://made-inhome.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/burlap-pincushion-free-pattern-cross.html. There is a link to a word document.

      Delete