The Brasilia Dress | WIP {Dressmaking}

Wednesday, 13 November 2013

I know I still have many WIPs that are sitting in my to-do box and adding one more project should really not be on my agenda. But I really wanted to test the Brasilia dress pattern. I thought this was the perfect dress for Mr MiH forthcoming Christmas do (massive event usually in some posh venue, although in Luton this year, hmm yes...). 


My original idea was a black version of the dress - always good for testing a pattern and when I am going to challenge my sewing skills. But I found this fabric at my local John Lewis and just knew I had to use it. 


Clearly this is not my usual style. And looking at the fabric laying flat on my living room floor I did not really like it anymore. Never mind, it was the fabric I chose and I was going to make a dress out of it! 


I did the grading, it was not as bad as I feared as it was a case of widening (quite a bit) the waist and shortening the top half of the body. I also lengthen the bottom of the dress, but I am not sure whether I am going to keep that modification, I just wanted to have the option. 

I am making very good progress. The front panel is already made, I just need to get on the case of the invisible zipper... 

9 comments:

  1. Love the fabric....I think most people would have to widen it from Rachael's waist line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh invisible zippers are the bane of my existence. that dress is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the geometric pattern and knew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric you have chosen is perfect for this dress! I think this is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this dress looks great, will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful dress, I am very curious to see yours and I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete