L+D is finished {Knitting}

Tuesday 5 March 2013

The L+D cowl was actually finished a couple of weeks ago, but my personal photographer, Mr MiH, has not had the time to take pictures. To be fair it has been fairly grey over the last week. So an hour of sunshine on Sunday was the perfect excuse for a photoshoot. 

This is the project I started on my way to the maternity ward - pre-Baby MiH (cannot remember what that was like anymore). Of course, I got a chance to make some progress out there helped by the fact that I stayed in hospital 5 days in total (3 days waiting for Baby MiH to finally make an appearance and 2 to recover). And then the project stagnated a bit ... But it is finished, and I am actually really happy with it. I was surprised as the idea was to get me occupied rather than actually get something I would wear for real. 




 Pattern: Adapted from  the Celandine pattern, from Marianne Kinzel, First Book of Modern Lace Knitting
Yarn: Rowan Creative Focus Worsted in True Purple
Needle size: Circular 4.5mm
Modifications: This is a table mat pattern. However the actual modifications to use the pattern for a cowl are minimum. I used the middle section of the pattern. I cast on 208 stitches - and made a few repeats of the main pattern (to use up 3 skeins in the end). And that is it. 


I love the colour! It is called True Purple for a reason. Look at how it pops in the pictures! The colour works well with the pattern too. It is not so dark that you cannot see the lace pattern. 


The yarn is not too chunky so I could really play with the width of the cowl. I wanted the cowl to be quite chunky around my neck but not too long. I think I managed to get the right balance - I had to try it on a couple of times nearing the end to make sure I got the right size. 


The only negative is that I find the yarn quite scratchy. So far it has not stopped me wearing it, but it may stop be knitting a jumper out of it. It is a real shame because the colours of the collection are really amazing. I do have a sensitive skin, so you may not have the same issue. 

On a side note, these are the first pictures of me on this blog not pregnant - and I am not even wearing maternity jeans or T-shirts! Whoohoo!

20 comments:

  1. Looking good mrs! Love the cowl but also love all the playful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's gorgeous, and you look fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous! Great colour and a lovely pattern! How fantastic to not be wearing maternity clothes, you won't be seeing pics of me on my Blog anytime soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cowl, love the color, love the pattern. It's a winner. Did you soak it? And still no softening up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful!! Sorry about the scratchy yarn. That's a bummer. I used to knit a lot and that was a big problem for me, even yarns that were supposedly soft and supple, I just couldn't have them beside my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colour, love the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colour is beautiful and I love a cowl. You're looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is gorgeous! The color looks fantastic. It is a shame the yarn it is a bit scratchy. I have the same problem... and it is hard finiding the right yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great Nat, I love purple and you look amazing for a woman who has recently had a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is lovely. The color is great on you ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colour, shame it's scratchy. Have you tried giving it a soak in something nice? That worked well on one of my Noro shawls and more wear has softened it further.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cowl is great and the colour suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute cowl and nice photos. Have you tried giving the cowl a soak in some Eucalan or even hair conditioner? That might take some of the scratchiness out of the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a nice cowl! it looks so warm and cozy, and it's a great color too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I *love* the colour of it! The stitch pattern is also fab, it must be so satisfying to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look fabulous :) Lovin' that color. You'll have to report if it softens at all after a wash or two.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a shame it is scratchy esp after all that lace work. It is a great purple tho.

    ReplyDelete