Navajo {Jewellery}

Tuesday 22 January 2013

I bought a beading loom some time ago following seeing these bracelets. But let me tell you when to making something we did not get on - first I had the wrong size of beads, and had to buy new ones - but to be fair I decided not to check what I actually needed.. And then I could not set it up properly. A few youtube videos and tutorials later, we are on, and my new bracelet is finally in progress as we speak!


Just to note, I used to have a loom when I was much younger (pre internet that is) and remember this to be distinctly easy (ie I could not find any help on youtube and managed it). I have officially regressed! However the lack of sleep will explain why I had so many issues to set it up and understand the concept. 


The beads I used are Miyuki Seed Beads Size 11 bought here. I have seen a lot of tutorials with bigger size beads - even wooden ones. I love crafts that are this versatile!


I may have to make a sparkly feather-Harpo like one next! I kept it simple for the first one (I did try a bigger bracelet and failed), but there is no stopping me now! 

15 comments:

  1. Nat, (as I wrote you by email) you are such a talented lady! In the last two days I have been reviewing all your posts since the relaunch of the blog and you made so many beautiful things, in particular the ones you did for Luc and his room! Take care, Caterina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bead loom too (many years ago)! Loved it. Except setting it up to start beading. Hated that bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .....you have a thing for tiny stuff at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!
    It looks so difficult.
    Looking forward to see it finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never used a bead loom before, but it looks like a lot of fun! Looking forward to seeing the finished bracelet! See you on Friday for TGIFF :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I have a love/hate relationship with beads after sewing them into some of my cross stitches - look great but so fiddly! Yours is looking great though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had one back in my 20's and used it to create panels to sew onto chambray shirt cuffs and collars. Never tried a bracelet. I dream of doing that again, but small beads and bad eyes do not mix! I will keep my beads for making stitch markers. Can't wait to see the bracelet done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty, love the green! I haven't thought about beading in a long time - such a lovely, relaxing activity. I have a loom as well, may have to have a go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beginnings of this is beautiful. I can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My father had made a small loom ​​of wood and little nails for me when I was a little girl and then I made bracelets on it with thread and tiny beads. A few years ago I gave away the loom which I still regret. So, love your post and it is great to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh how fun! I love beads. I used to find little ones in the carpet and fish them out with a needle when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That beading is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! so beautiful, I hope you share pictures when it's finished x

    ReplyDelete